Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
*Relocation Assistance Provided
Business Title: VP ARCHITECTURE & CONSTRUCTION
Generic Position Summary
As a senior member of the professional staff, contributes expertise in a discipline (e.g. Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations Planning & Support, Sales & Marketing) area to support function and/or discipline objectives. Works with a high degree of independence, developing short-term goals for own department(s) and monitoring the flow of work between own department and others in alignment with broader business objectives, selecting and developing effective managers and work teams, and managing own organization through reliable systems and processes. Is a recognized authority in area of specialty, often serving as discipline interface with other areas.
Specific Job Summary
The VP of Architecture and Construction applies business management, technical expertise, and leadership abilities ensure the successful delivery of resort projects for all major brands of the MVCI division. The VP of Architecture and Construction manages the delivery of a portfolio of resort development projects through the various stages of development, design, and construction, while adhering to company standards, policies and operating guidelines. The VP of Architecture and Construction also manages the delivery of developer capital projects such as sales centers and ancillary business projects, and COA reserve projects, including refurbishments. The VP of Architecture and Construction has single point accountability for the on-time, within budget, and brand standard compliant delivery of Resort Development projects. The capital expenditure under management at any given time of assigned projects is up to 3.5 billion dollars.
Generic Expected Contributions
- With a general planning horizon of 0 - 20 years, sets direction for area(s) of responsibility to achieve desired goals in alignment with function and/or discipline strategy.
- Leveraging knowledge and experience in area of expertise:
- identifies and implements improvements to business processes.
- evaluates alternatives and makes judgements on a full range of business issues.
- provides ongoing advice and guidance to the business concerning issues related to area of specialty.
- Manages large and/or multiple departments, processes and/or projects that have a broader function and/or discipline impact. Generally, influences work of cross-functional or extended teams.
- Makes department/multi-department resource decisions that have a financial impact as well as an impact on meeting discipline and/or business goals.
- Works to enhance the organization's capabilities through effective staffing and development of others by:
- developing recruiting strategies based on evolving needs and profile of the business.
- using appropriate MVW interviewing tools to hire the best managers available from inside or outside.
- setting and maintaining high standards for team and individual performance.
- providing timely coaching and feedback.
- making and rewarding distinctions in performance.
- Assists senior management in achieving business results by:
- contributing to the development of long-term function and/or discipline strategy.
- sharing relevant information to help others understand and support business objectives.
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- building relationships across the organization to align own technical area with broader organization direction and facilitate own function and discipline goals.
- contributing on a regular basis to operating efficiencies by recommending new and creative business management techniques.
- removing barriers to achieve greater performance.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Readily critiques own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
- Acts as the single point accountability for delivering a portfolio of development, capital, and reserve project(s) on schedule, within budget, in compliance with brand standards and for developing and managing an overall project execution plan with a focus on problem avoidance, the delivery of cost-effective predictable results, and the marshalling of appropriate resources required to enable the achievement of MVWC's business goals and objectives.
- Assures compliance with Corporate and Core "System for Managing", MVCI Project Management Manual, and MVCI Brand standards and Design Guidelines.
- Participates in development of project programs with MVCI Senior Management, Design Studio and functional personnel, design professionals, Operations and Sales and Marketing, as needed.
- Partners with VP of Cost Management and Assistant Project Managers or Project Managers to establish project budgets. Implements and follows up on the Corporate "System for Managing" to control project costs within this budget.
- Develops and manages integrated "milestone" project schedules. Provides guidance to Assistant Project Managers or Project Managers to establish project deliverables with consultants, contractors, and Resort Design & Construction functional and support personnel and ensure that these deliverables/milestones are achieved. Integrate project sales pace and unit inventory / delivery requirements with project construction schedules and CAPEX funding. Responsible for assuring compliance with Project Timeline operating guidelines.
- Provides relevant development, design and construction liaison between Project Team, Sales and Marketing group and Hospitality Operations.
- Prepares and presents reports and briefings as required by the AVP Sales Center Development Team, Development Management, and MVCI's Executive Committee.
- Facilitates timely communication of project status, potential problems, recommended corrective actions, and opportunities to strengthen compatible business relationships. Manage the "System for Managing" to ensure timely completion and updating of Project Timelines, Expedition reports, "Development Status Reports", and summaries of "Risks & Opportunities". Acts as a liaison with Site Marketing and Sales Teams through Assistant Project Managers or Project Managers to strengthen business relationships between the disciplines.
- Works closely with Assistant Project Managers or Project Managers to coordinate all planning, permitting, and external regulatory activity and submittals required for project permitting and execution. Reports variance to agreed-upon "shared goals" to the VP, A&C.
- Develops contracting strategies (design and construction) for each project that properly balances schedule, cost, and risk avoidance. Oversees all contracting efforts.
- Executes architectural, engineering, construction contracts, and other professional consultant contracts developed and managed by Assistant Project Managers or Project Managers in compliance with MVCI's "Approval Matrix", and MVCI's "System for Managing", which includes relevant and appropriate process and approval operating guidelines and limits.
- Provides guidance to Assistant Project Managers and Project Managers to ensure contract documents are complete, coordinated, permit compliant, and compliant with the Design Guide and Brand standards.
- Manages and provides leadership to direct reports and peers in accordance with Marriott associate relations standards and traditions with a focus on increasingly levels of Associate Engagement and leading by example as it relates to treating all associates with respect and dignity.
- Manages and provides leadership by ensuring compliance with MVCI standards that focus on meeting and exceeding customer needs and increasing Guest and Customer Engagement in accordance with Marriott's customer relations standards and traditions.
- Oversees Assistant Project Managers and Project Managers compliance activities as it relates to Building, Fire Code and other entitlement and permitting officials to provide code-complaint, permit compliant design documentation.
- Visits project sites periodically during construction to provide leadership, guidance, approvals and support.
- Acts as a liaison between Assistant Project Managers and Project Managers and Law Department and external consultants for timely and accurate flow of information required for Registration and contract approval documents.
- Shares best practices and lessons learned with other Project Teams to promote continuous improvement of the development process.
- Oversees Assistant Project Managers and Project Managers who assure and coordinate turnover of buildings, documents, manuals, training materials, etc. to Marketing and Sales operations.
- Recommends changes for project improvement efforts consistent with Corporate Growth Committee approved scope, schedule, and budget.
Recruits and selects qualified project management staff as required.Generic Candidate Profile
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
Typically a senior position requiring significant knowledge and experience in one or more disciplines as well as associate and/or organizational management experience. College degree required. Advance degree or professional certification may also be required. Specific Candidate Profile
- Professional degree in technical field from an accredited university. Professional registration is desirable; however, there is no requirement for professional sealing or stamping of design documents.
- Five (5) years experience in Hospitality or Resort Design / Project Management preferred. Ability to act as an owner representative, understand client's motivations and concerns and translate them into successful projects.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years experience in the Design / Construction industry with specific documented experience in architectural or engineering practice, project and/or construction management, and Owner representation.
- Strong leadership, management, and communication skills, ability to work in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, matrix management environment, a "Team Player". Pro-active, aggressive, motivated and entrepreneurial.
- Experience in managing multi-discipline technical and support personnel.
- Ability to resolve relationship issues in conflict with project goals.
- Experience in consultant selection, contract negotiation, and administration.
- Ability to solicit required support from consultants, contractors and various RD&C disciplines.
- Experience with building land use and environmental permit approval process and dealing with building permitting and fire code officials.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, schedules, and budgets.
- Ability to express development, design, and technical construction concepts clearly, orally, graphically, and in writing.
- Ability to work within Project team environment with peers and multiple upper level management personnel.
- Ability to understand business issues and make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to read, understand, and critique design phases and construction documents and to manage the design team's efforts to achieve technically acceptable design and construction documents within scope, schedule, and within both fee and construction budgets.
- Ability to "follow-through" with attention to details.
- Computer literacy on Microsoft Office products, Microsoft Project (or other scheduling software), and PMWeb (or other project management software) preferred.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture Job Requirements
This job has expired.