Cytotechnologist, Technical Specialist
- An opportunity to work with a wonderful team culture that fosters Teamwork and Growth!
- Outstanding Benefits!
- $5000 Sign-on Bonus!
- Highly competitive wages!
- Free Parking!
- Working at a community hospital, while being a part of a much larger hospital organization!
Monday- Friday, 1st shift (7:30-4p), No Weekends or HolidaysSummary
Coordinates the daily operations in the Cytology department. In conjunction with the department supervisor, the Cytotechnologist Technical Specialist develops and implements policies and procedures in the Cytology laboratory to ensure the delivery of quality laboratory services. Performs a variety of laboratory procedures, including cytology specimen preparation, accessioning, and microscopic screening of slides.
Directs cytology personnel and daily workflow, evaluates work performance and competencies, provides counseling and technical guidance, provides in-services, encourages professional growth and development of laboratory personnel. Interviews candidates for hire and consults with department supervisor regarding hire. Orients and trains new employees. The Cytotechnologist Technical Specialist establishes standards of performance and assesses competency of staff in conjunction with the department supervisor and Cytopathology Medical Director. Collects and reports data relative to the laboratory quality improvement program.Essential Functions of the Cytology Technical Specialist:
- Models the NWH and Laboratory CareFirst Standards of Performance
- Performs all functions of Cytotechnologist
- Knows how to perform all of the functions of the Technical Lab Assistant and covers that role as needed
- Coordinates daily functions of the cytology staff
- Establishes work schedules to ensure efficiency of operations
- Accurate and timely employee timecard management
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends means for improving systems
- Communicates with health care providers to assure problems are resolved and their needs addressed
- Provides input and assists department supervisor in evaluation of employee performance
- Performs review of all cases diagnosed as High Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion (HSIL) by rescreening all cases performed during the previous five years
- Reviews all discrepancies with the pathologist and employee
- Identifies and documents all cases required for review and follow-up by Cytopathology Medical Director per the Cytology QA policy
- Ensure compliance to CAP checklist requirements, including new items and self-inspection evaluations.
- Supervises daily QC monitoring and technical quality of specimens and stains
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of specimens for analysis
- Collects, collates, analyzes and presents data collected for quality assurance purposes
- Assists department supervisor in the evaluation of new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of personnel, equipment, space, method comparison, cost analysis, and implementation
- Works with department supervisor to orient, train, and evaluate competencies of new employees
- Updates and monitors procedure manuals
- Interviews and participates in selection of candidates for hire
- Ensures that staff stays current on review of policies, mandatory training, updates to policies and procedures
- Identifies opportunities for continuing education of staff members and facilitates the presentation of continuing education material
- Maintains hospital and department policies and procedures, including quality assurance, safety and infection control
- Participates collaboratively in meetings/committees as required/requested
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, outside conferences and professional affiliations
- Participates in department and hospital Quality Improvement teams. Contributes effectively to continuous quality improvement
- Attends all required interdepartmental meetings
- Makes suggestions and takes initiatives for improved work processes
- Recognizes the role of the laboratory and how it relates to the overall function of the hospital regarding patient care
- Assists in the maintenance of the Anatomic Pathology information system including troubleshooting problems and training of staff
- Assists in Epic registration of patients, as needed, and troubleshooting registration related issues
- Oversees the daily operation of the Cytology department, including TLA staff and Cytotechnologists
- Monitors overtime and supply utilization closely to ensure the department remains at or below budget
- Explains variance from the budget to the department supervisor
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology or related science from an accredited school
- Completion of a qualified program in cytotechnology
- Minimum two, preferably four, years previous experience in cytology and in a cytology laboratory
- Supervisory and teaching experience preferred
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations
- Certified in cytotechnology, CT (ASCP or IAC)
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven managerial skills
- Good oral and written communication and interpersonal leadership skills
Newton-Wellesley Hospital will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran or active military status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.