Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal's commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
REPORTS TO: Chief Department Engineer & Department Project Engineer
SUPERVISES: Engineer II, Engineer I, Designers and Draftspersons
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for design calculations and drawing development as assigned by the Chief Department Engineer
- Responsible for checking calculations done by Engineers I and Engineers II
- Complies with Austal's employee handbook general guidelines, company
procedures and policies. QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
• General Required:
- Minimum Seven (7) years' of shipyard design and construction experience or equivalent experience.
- Five (5) years' Engineering experience at Austal USA will be considered in lieu of shipyard design and construction experience
- Bachelor's degree in math or science with 10+ years shipbuilding experience working under the Professional Engineering license in replace of experience listed above
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
o Understanding of scheduling and an ability to adhere to strict deadlines
o Experienced in interacting with Production, multiple design teams from several companies, customer representatives and equipment manufacturers.
o Computer literate and familiar with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products.
o Thorough knowledge of ship and propulsion systems
o Strong working knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, NAVSEA, MIL, USCG, IMO, etc.)
- Experience in the construction of high speed aluminum vessels
- Knowledge of modular construction methods
- Knowledge in design and construction of US Navy vessels
- Knowledge of shock design
- Knowledge of FEA methods
- Knowledge of composite shafting
o Successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Naval Architecture
o Thorough knowledge of vessel structural design
o Thorough knowledge of vessel trim & stability calculations
o Reports to Chief Naval Architect
o Successful completion of Bachelor's degree in Engineering
o Working knowledge of vessel structural design
• Marine / Mechanical Engineer:
o Bachelor's Degree in Marine or Mechanical Engineering
o Thorough knowledge of ship and propulsion system design and operation
o Thorough knowledge of engine alignment and shaft design and alignment
o Thorough knowledge of HVAC design
o Reports to Chief Mechanical Engineer
• Electrical Engineer:
o Successful completion of a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
o Thorough knowledge of power distribution and lighting systems
o Thorough knowledge of automation, control and communication systems
o Strong working knowledge of IEEE and NEC
o Reports to Chief Electrical Engineer
• Fit Out Engineer
o Successful completion of a bachelor's degree in Engineering
o Thorough knowledge of light-weight aluminum joiner construction
o Strong working knowledge of USPH requirements
o Reports to Chief Naval Architect
• Shock Engineer
o Experience implementing MIL-S-901 in respect to testing, analyzing, reporting, and certification of equipment and full ship shock certification.
o Thorough knowledge of ship design integration with respect to shock survivability.
o Demonstrated experience interfacing with Navy Shock authorities.
o Experience with DDAM analysis desirable.
o Reports to Chief Naval Architect
- Successful completion of a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related degree (at time of hire) Configuration, programming, installation, and test experience with PLCs and SCADAs.
- Detailed knowledge of Automation and IT networks.
- Experience with the Windows Server environment.
- Configuration and commissioning experience with sensors, switches, valve actuators, variable speed drives, and other field devices.
- Design, installation and troubleshooting experience with communication protocols including Profibus, Modbus RTU/TCP, and Serial ASCII.
- Ability to work in the field environment domestically and internationally.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and experience.
- Working knowledge of power distribution systems
- Working knowledge of IEEE.
- Specific knowledge related to the following:
- Siemens PCS7 or other integrated automation platform
- Siemens SIMATIC variable speed drives
- Windows Server Domain management including DNS, Active Directory, and Group Policy
- Although mentioned above (General section), the following are preferred but not required:
- Working knowledge of ship and propulsion systems
- Working knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, NAVSEA, MIL, USCG, IMO, etc.)
All candidates must meet Austal USA's basic employment eligibility guidelines:
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance may be required if deemed necessary in the scope of your position responsibilities
- 18 years or older at time of application
- Able to provide proof of US Person status(permanent resident or citizen)
- No felony convictions of theft/deception or violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
- No felony convictions of drug crimes within three years from disposition date
- Willing to submit to a drug screen
- Willing to submit to a background check
• Computer - MS Office, AutoCADDIRECTION EXERCISED:
• Will lead and direct the work of Engineers I, II, Designers and Draftspersons
• Will determine technical adequacy of drawings and calculationsDISCRETION EXERCISED:
• Will provide input to evaluations of Engineers I, II, Designers and Draftspersons
• Has authority to direct, evaluate and correct the work of Engineers I, II, Designers and DraftspersonsLIAISES WITH:
Engineers, Production Personnel, Customer, Regulatory Bodies, Program Management and Equipment SuppliersWORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.SAFETY
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.
This job has expired.