With limited supervision, responsible for the more skilled accounting activities associated with maintaining complete and accurate accounting records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
- Compile and prepare external and internal financial data
- Review accounting issues and procedures and make recommendations regarding the implementation of the accounting policies
- Work with internal auditors, insurance examiners, and external auditors to answer questions and provide backup
- Participate in the identification and development of new processes, analytical tools and reports to meet the needs of management
- Maintain journals or subsidiary ledgers
- Analyze and reconcile accounts; research cause of discrepancies and take action to ensure accounts are balanced
- Review, prepare and maintain standard accounting journal entries, including both recurring and ad-hoc entries requiring some calculation of data
- Assist with adhoc requests and recommend process improvements
- Participate in the review and evaluation of existing and proposed internal controls or manual and automated operations to safeguard company assets and to comply with government regulations
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
- 4+ years of Accounting experience
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP)
- Understanding of related accounting principles and transactions based on assigned responsibilities.
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and adhere to project deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish working relationships with individuals at varying levels within the organization
- General understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company; as well as, an understanding of the functions of other departments
- General ledger system experience
- Understanding of mainframe, pc-based, and/or web-based applications.
- Analyze and synthesize complex information to form options and recommendations; utilize effective research and investigative techniques
- Effective problem solving skills
- Demonstrates initiative and desire to grow within the department
- High attention to detail
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.
In the event you need assistance or accommodation in completing your online application, please contact NGIC main office by phone at (336) 435-2000.
This job has expired.