Primary Job Purpose
The Software Quality Engineer IV is responsible for assuring the delivery of high quality products and software services. The Software Quality Engineer I works with teammates to prevent and detect defects throughout the product lifecycle, evaluate the appropriateness of software solutions for customers and the enterprise, and enable delivery team productivity. The Software Quality Engineer II applies a wide variety for testing and quality assurance techniques to complex software projects often requiring coordination with multiple software delivery teams. The Software Quality Engineer III is a senior level engineer that applies extensive technical knowledge and experience to develop and deliver solutions for software projects. The Software Quality Engineer IV is able to lead teams carrying out quality assurance and testing strategies for complex projects.
General Functions and Outcomes
- Participate on project scrum team. Participate on defect triage team. Manage personal work backlog using agile practices.
- Review user stories, acceptance criteria, specifications, software designs, code and tests.
- Write automated and manual test cases and procedures. Collaborate with peers to ensure adequate test coverage and efficient test execution.
- Apply industry-standard methods to develop, automate and execute unit, component and system-level tests.
- Report test results, submit defects and verify defect fixes.
- Ensure software testability, test coverage and test maintainability meet project requirements.
- Assess the impact of requirements, design and code changes, recommend test updates and regression testing, and execute agreed upon tests.
- Act on metrics to improve process effectiveness, test execution, and product quality.
- Participate in process improvement efforts.
- Mentor team members to ensure software testability, achieve required test coverage and improve automated test stability and maintainability.
- Collaborate with Development to define software requirements, design and implementation to ensure testability, scalability, maintainability, and reliability.
- Develop new technical solutions to ensure project quality, cost and schedule requirements are met, risks mitigated, and quality plans and test plan are executable.
- Use metrics to understand process effectiveness, quality assurance and testing progress, and product quality and recommend actions.
- Lead assigned process improvement efforts.
- Assess vendor quality and testing based on requirements in Statements of Work. Collaborate with vendors to plan and execute integration and system level tests.
- Assess and escalate issues as needed to Software Quality Lead.
- Participate in defect triage, program risk analysis and development cycle-time optimizations. Identify opportunities to enhance test automation framework and tests.
- Collaborate with development partners to identify quality goals, constraints and risks. Create appropriate plans, contingencies and mitigations.
- Create quality assurance and testing strategies, estimate resources and schedules, and manage execution of planned quality and test activities.
- Define quality and testing requirements for vendor Statements of Work. Manage quality deliverables and results from vendors. Act as Single Point of Contact for vendor communications regarding quality and testing.
- Lead Software Quality Engineers and other staff on projects. Prioritize activities, supervise execution and provide coaching. Train Software Quality Engineers on defect prevention and detection methods, agile SQA, test automation and metrics. Act as Scrum Master.
- Monitor quality assurance and testing progress, eliminate obstacles and report progress and recommendations to project and senior management.
- Identify and Initiate process, practice and tool improvements and drive to completion.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above
- Demonstrated proficiency in at least one programming language, such as Java, Ruby, Python or C#.
- Ability to react quickly and remain productive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to learn, apply and follow company best practices.
- Ability to work independently, raise issues and take corrective action.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical project team members.
- Demonstrated experience with web, mobile and database application technologies, automated testing and tools.
- Demonstrated experience with one or more: software reliability, automated test maintenance, static analysis, or code coverage.
- Demonstrated ability to apply appropriate industry-standard processes and practices to prevent and detect defects throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize metrics and understand processes related to effective quality assurance and testing progress.
- Extensive experience with web, mobile and database application technologies, automated testing, frameworks and tools.
- Demonstrated experience with TDD/ATDD, Continuous Integration, Design for Testability, and Software Stability.
- Demonstrated ability to select appropriate industry-standard processes and practices to prevent and detect defects throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Demonstrated ability to work across project teams to leverage existing knowledge, technologies and solutions.
- Extensive knowledge of and success in creating new quality assurance and testing methods, tools and standards.
- Excellent judgment based on full understand of the needs of customers and the enterprise.
- Demonstrated strong cross-functional communication, problem-solving and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and guide team members.
- Ability to create quality assurance and testing strategies and to manage multiple projects & tasks simultaneously.
The Software Quality Engineer IV would have a BA/BS degree in computer science or related field and 9 years of experience performing software quality and testing throughout product development, deployment and maintenance, including 3 years of experience writing, running and automating tests and 2 years of experience leading project quality assurance and testing efforts; or equivalent combination of education and experience.Work Environment
- No unusual working conditions.
- Work primarily performed in office environment.
- Travel may be required, locally or out of state.
- May be required to work outside normal hours.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check are required.
If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please email CambiaCareers@cambiahealth.com