Senior Scientist - Microscopist
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a part of our Imaging Center for Excellence team in Gaithersburg, MD, you will play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D (Research & Development) and Oncology in the US (UNITED STATES). Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration. The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria, and copy center. This is where you will find newly designed, activity-based workspaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
The Imaging Center for Excellence is part of Dynamic Omics, which is part of the Centre of Genomics Research (CGR) in Discovery Sciences within AstraZeneca and works across all therapeutic areas. The team delivers key data to projects across all phases of drug discovery and development, and we work with all modalities from small molecules to biologics. As a member of the expanding Dynamic Omics department, you will be actively involved in analyzing preclinical and clinical samples using advanced imaging modalities and image analysis.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
This role will be the primary resource for our Oncology users, for application of cutting edge, different modalities of fluorescence microscopy and image analysis solutions as well as tissue imaging activities involving live animals, live cells, fixed samples, or dynamic cell culture systems. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work and grow in a fast-paced environment under the supervision of senior staff members.
• Assist scientists with data collection, data analysis and image processing.
• Serve all non-clinical research programs by contributing to target and biomarker identification, and drug mechanism(s) of action for early development programs.
• Support early translational aspects of drug and biomarker development with research personnel.
• Contribute independently to project teams and multitask effectively.
• Prepare precise technical reports, summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses and contribute to preparation of manuscripts and/or patent applications.
• Identify opportunities for process improvement initiatives.
Education & Experience Requirements:
Master's Degree in Engineering, Biology, Computer Science or other relevant field with 8+ years of experience OR PhD in Engineering, Biology, Computer Science or other relevant field. We will consider PhDs with no post-doctoral experience; however, 2-3 years of post-doctoral experience is strongly preferred,
• Expert in advanced quantitative microscopy techniques, particularly confocal.
• Operate instruments, design experiments, analyze data, interpret experimental results, and summarize data for presentations and reports with accountability for accuracy.
• Strong scientific background in the use of microscopy to solve problems in cellular biology as evidenced through a good publication record.
• Experience in image analysis.
• Excellent team player with strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written. Should have "customer facing willingness" as will interface with many groups within and outside of oncology.
• Strong multi-tasking, time management and organizational skills.
• Experience with TIRF (Total Internal Reflectance Fluorescence), super resolution microscopy, spinning disc confocal microscopy or laser microdissection.
• Experience in programming, preferably with a background in Python.
• Experience with working in a matrix organization.
• Experience with Imaris, Arivis and Nikon Elements software.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity, no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we are opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting-edge methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what's next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it is yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD (Biopharmaceutical Development) group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our social media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
Charles City, Iowa
Posted about 2 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago