Novelis has an immediate opening for a Refractory Equipment Reliability Leader. In this role, you would report to the Senior Manager of Reliability, for Novelis North America (NNA), and be part of the Manufacturing Excellence Group. This position is a key role of the newly developed "Reliability Center of Excellence" (RCoE) and would be considered a Subject Matter Expert (SME), for the region.
As a Refractory Equipment Reliability Leader, you will be responsible for promoting the proper inspection, design, assembly, reliability, maintainability and operation of all Refractory lined and Furnace combustion equipment. (In accordance with MMP standards) To achieve these goals you will be required to coach and develop plant leadership as well as working with other regional and global leaders. With the new Focused 5 goals highlighting reduction of "losses", reducing equipment downtime and enhancing planned maintenance outages will be key.
As this role has regional responsibility, you will be expected to travel to many of the molten aluminum handling plant locations, on a regular basis. This means that 40% to 60% of the time you could be on the road. However, considerations will be made for a good "work-life" balance. As part of this, good coordination and regular communications with many of the plant leaders will be a key part of your responsibilities, and could also be performed virtually.
At Novelis, our people are our greatest asset! We embrace diversity to see real world problems, through various lenses, and make break-through technology possible. Our family-oriented atmosphere encourages and enables employees and their families to give back to their communities through numerous volunteer events. We also work with non-profit partners and local schools, towards making communities safer, and growing recycling by consumers. Novelis also supports Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) education initiatives. We operate in a strong and encouraging environment, with opportunities to be part of our employee mentorship programs to guide you through your career.
Does this sound like your next opportunity? Apply today!
Required QualificationsResponsibilities & QualificationsRequired Qualifications
- Drive improvements that promote Novelis' Focused 5 goals, with specific attention to Safety, Operational Excellence, Sustainability, People and Culture
- Align with the MMP Refractory group to help ensure all procedures and designs being implemented in North America are consistent with their methodologies and practices
- Support to Refractory Engineers and Project Managers, at each Recycling facility that has molten aluminum equip (Major Outage work, Upgrades and Critical equip failures)
- Ensure plants make correct Capital investment choices, with respect to Refractory Equipment, to help Novelis reduce unplanned downtime and avoid losses.
- Uphold strict Inspection criteria of all furnace equipment and refractory linings and maintain a "heat map" of potential issues across the region
- Includes review of Standard Inspection Criteria and tools, at each facility
- Heat maps of Critical Refractory equipment should be maintained, by plant
- Promote the use of Predictive technologies to identify oncoming refractory failures
- Work with key vendors, MMP and plant leaders to find and develop new technologies that improve furnace Operations, Reliability and increase Capacity Release
- Includes Burners, Operational Equipment, Stirring devices, Testing & Trials
- Help plants investigate Refractory failures and major incidents requiring an RCA/8D
- Follow-up on RCA Corrective Actions to ensure Implementation & Correction
- Collect and Share Best Practices around Refractory and Furnace Equipment
- Includes furnace operations/SOPs, cleaning & inspection, management, pressure control, metal flow, stirring, dross creation and management, etc.
- Known design improvements that others can benefit from and should be shared
- Process and Cleaning Tools, Inspection tools and Failure investigation tools
- Predictive and Preventive tools and techniques to extend equipment life
- Support and Promote Energy efficient upgrades and Modifications that help ensure better Sustainability and CO2 reductions, across the region
- Accompany others when Plant assessments or Process audits are being performed, to help understand and communicate findings and potential improvements (MMP, R&D, etc.)
- Support the Reliability Center of Excellence and provide regular updates and communications on projects, findings, roadblocks and support needed
Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering or Materials Science field
- 6+ years of experience working with Furnaces and Refractory
- Engineering, Maintenance, Operations or Technical Leadership experience
- Demonstrate Knowledge and Expertise in areas of:
- Combustion Systems and Burner Technologies
- Refractory Materials Evaluation & Selection
- Inspection, Repairs & Predictive Maintenance of Refractory Equipment
- General Furnace Operations and Management
- Experience Managing Furnace Improvements & Refractory Lining Rebuilds
- Understanding of Bloom and North American Burner systems
- Excellent Computer Skills, and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must be comfortable teaching, coaching and presenting to small teams, at all levels of the organization
- Speaks/Writes English fluently and Communicates effectively
- Training for Refractory Design, Use and Material Selection
- 10+ years of experience in a Refractory or Furnace Management position, in an Aluminum Manufacturing environment
CMRP or CMRT certification (Maintenance & Reliability)
- Understanding of Energy Efficient Burner Systems & Upgrades
- Demonstrate Knowledge and Expertise in areas of:
- Furnace Process Management and Operator Cleaning Practices
- Troubleshooting Combustion Systems
Novelis' Global Corporate Headquarters is located in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta Georgia and employs approximately 250 people. It is co-located with Novelis' North America regional office which employs approximately 225 people. Supporting its 24 operations worldwide Novelis' corporate office is home to the executive leadership team and global functions that support the automotive beverage can and high-end specialties value streams. The City of Atlanta provides a diverse and family-friendly place to live with countless museums cultural organizations and educational institutions including the Georgia Aquarium Woodruff Arts Center CNN Center Georgia Tech and Mercedes-Benz Stadium. In the Atlanta area Novelis has strong community partnerships with Atlanta Habitat for Humanity GeorgiaFIRST and Agape Youth and Family Center in addition to many local museums and community groups. Novelis recognizes its talented and diverse workforce as a key competitive advantage. Novelis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. All terms and conditions of employment at Novelis including recruiting hiring placement promotion termination layoffs recalls transfers leaves of absence compensation and training are without regard to race color religion age sex national origin disability status genetics protected veteran status sexual orientation gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal provincial or local laws.