The Patient Services Specialist 2 provides administrative support in a physician office, clinic or other operational area that assists patients, to ensure high quality, patient-centered care. Duties include patient relations, check-in or check-out, scheduling, insurance verification and answering phones. May assist in training and mentoring junior Patient Services Specialists.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
- Assists patients and other visitors by performing patient related duties to include check-in or check-out, scheduling, insurance verification and answering and responding to phones inquiries. Arranges follow-up visits and referral appointments.
- Registers patients by collecting and verifying insurance information. Verifies patient demographics and enters changes into computer system. Directs patients to appropriate waiting areas.
- Accepts payments for physician/clinic services according to established guidelines. Posts payments and enters charges into computer utilizing appropriate codes. Generates daily payment reports and verifies cash drawer against report. Provides accurate patient, medical, financial or procedural information to patients or approved outside entities. Discusses financial arrangements with patients, as requested.
- Responds to routine escalated inquiries concerning services, hours of operation, etc. Ensures any patient complaints are handled appropriately.
- Assists with medical records duties by pulling charts for scheduled and walk-in appointments, prescription refills and other requests. Retrieves, transports, sorts and files medical records. Copies medical records chart for patient transfers and referrals as requested.
- Assists in training, mentoring and providing assistance to junior staff as requested.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Strong listening, interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, and professional, pleasant and respectful telephone etiquette. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences. Empathetic listener, sensitive, upbeat, optimistic, articulate, gracious and tactful.
- Knowledge of patient registration procedures and documentation.
- Knowledge of medical insurance claims procedures and documentation. Needs to have thorough understanding of the Out of Network process
- Skilled in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Skilled in preparing and maintaining patient records.
- Able to analyze unpaid third-party claims and delinquent accounts to determine appropriate follow-up actions to ensure payment.
- Able to mentor and train staff.
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
This job has expired.
- EDUCATION - H.S. Diploma/GED Equivalent
- EXPERIENCE - 1 Year of Experience