The Patient Services Specialist 1, with direct oversight, provides administrative support in a physician office, clinic or other operational area that assists patients, to ensure high quality, patient-centered care. Duties include patient relations, check-in and check-out, scheduling, insurance verification and answering phones.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
- Assists with patient duties to include patient relations, check-in or check-out, scheduling, insurance verification, and answering phones.
- Arranges follow-up visits and referral appointments.
- Assists with patient registration duties by collecting and verifying insurance information.
- Verifies patient demographics and enters changes into computer system.
- Directs patient to appropriate waiting areas.
- Accepts payments for physician/clinic services according to established guidelines.
- Posts payments and enters charges into computer utilizing appropriate codes.
- Generates daily payment reports and verifies cash drawer against report.
- Provides accurate patient, medical, financial or procedural information to patients or approved outside entities.
- May be required to discuss financial arrangements with patients.
- Receives and directs phone calls.
- Assists patients and other visitors.
- Responds to routine inquiries concerning practice services, hours of operation, etc.
- Ensures any patient complaints are handled appropriately.
- Assists with medical records duties as requested.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Good listening, interpersonal and communication (oral and written), and professional, pleasant and respectful telephone etiquette.
- Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences.
- Empathetic listener, sensitive, upbeat, optimistic, articulate, gracious and tactful.
- Ability to promptly assess requests by using electronic and paper resource materials and correctly respond to patient inquiries.
- Ability to calm upset patients in a composed and professional demeanor.
- Excellent data entry, numeric, typing and computer navigational skills, with attention to details.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, constantly changing and stressful environment.
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
- EDUCATION - H.S. Diploma/GED Equivalent
- EXPERIENCE - Less than 1 Year of Experience