About the Job
Optometric Technicians work in conjunction with the doctors to perform activities involving patient care, pre-testing, post-exam duties, FDT testing and maintain the doctor's appointment schedule in a manner that delivers a professional, pleasurable patient experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs preliminary evaluation of patients prior to exam by the OD, such as dilation, topicals, diagnostic medications, etc.
- Perform verbal interview with patient prior to visit with OD to determine medical issues and reasons for their visit for communication to OD prior to appointment
- Assists ODs to care for patients in a timely, effective manner, as closely to appointed schedule as possible
- Instruct patients on medical care as prescribed by the doctor's treatment plan and schedules follow up appointments as needed
- Discusses Lasik with patients and identifies patients interested in Lasik by reviewing patient information forms
- Schedules referral appointments with Ophthalmologists, Crown Diagnostic, Laser Center and completes appropriate paperwork
- Records and maintains patient records / files in compliance with company, federal, and state policies (HIPAA)
- Respond to patient's telephone inquiries regarding medication, treatment, problems referring to the OD as necessary
- Identifies candidates for FDT testing per company standards of care
- Completes proper coding of procedures for payment collection
- Participates in Practice meetings / projects as requested
- Ensures that maximum OD utilization occurs thru pre-appointment confirmation, daily appointment confirmation, contacting patients from recall listings, partnership with the manager's outreach, etc. (in an office without a PCC)
- Calls all no shows or cancelled patients to reschedule appointments (in an office without a PCC)
- Performs contact lens insertion and removal classes (I&R) and manages the contact lens trial inventory
- Performs end of day responsibilities to include opti-schedule wrap-up, end of day checklist, etc.
- Makes recommendations for efficiencies, processes, etc. which will deliver either quality, cost savings, and / or profitability improvements within the Practice and / or across the organization
- Performs other duties within the Practice as requested and as time allows
- High School or GED qualification
- Entry level PC skills to include MC Office, Windows, and Word Processing
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment, functioning for the good of the team over the individual
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively and professionally collaborate with co-workers and patients
- Experience evaluating patients for eye exams and dispensing eye exam medication
- Familiarity with medical terms associated with eye treatment
- Experience maintaining patients' records / files per HIPAA regulations
- Employee Vision Discount Program
- 401(k) with Match
- Paid Holidays
*Benefits applicable to full Time Employees only.
- This position requires the ability to communicate and exchange information, utilize equipment necessary to perform the job, and move about the office.
High School or Equivalent
Family Eyecare Clinic-Painesville
This job has expired.