How would you like to work in a place where your contributions and ideas are valued? A place where you can serve with compassion, pursue excellence and honor every voice? At Wellstar, our mission is simple, yet powerful: to enhance the health and well-being of every person we serve. We are proud to have become a shining example of what's possible when the brightest professionals dedicate themselves to making a difference in the healthcare industry, and in people's lives.
The Service Line Chief serves as the physician leader of the Wellstar Health System Surgery Service Line (the "Surgery Service Line") with respect to certain clinical and administrative matters involving the delivery of Surgical services in Wellstar Hospital outpatient departments and inpatient care at WellStar Hospitals. This leadership position assists executive leadership in shaping and managing the implementation of the Wellstar Health System Surgery Strategy in addition to conducting active clinical medical practice in his/her specialty.
The Chief Surgical Officer has the following responsibilities:
- Assists in the creation of an ongoing quality and performance improvement plan and program for the delivery of Surgical services in the Wellstar Health System.
- Annually, or more frequently as necessary, recommends to executive management goals and objectives of the Surgery Service Line in keeping with the organization's strategic plan and the need to maintain contemporary and innovative programs and services.
- Makes recommendations for new and innovative programs, services, and technology for the Service Line in keeping with the organization's strategic plan.
- Recommends measures for building and maintaining staff, both physicians and non-physicians, dedicated to the best patient care and quality of work. Understands how to use quality reviews/RCAs to improve care.
- Reviews and recommends advances in Surgical services and changes in technology which will impact on patient care and the Surgery Service Line.
- Assists in addressing concerns or complaints by patients, families and/or physicians.
- Participates in the oversight of all clinical activities within the Surgery Service Line including cooperation with management/administration in matters relating to personnel, supplies, policies and procedures and operations.
- Serves on Wellstar Health System committees and task forces as requested by the Chief Executive Officer of Wellstar, or his/her designee.
- Prepares and submits reports related to the Surgery Service Line which are requested
- Serves as a recognized and respected leader within his or her chosen field of endeavor.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of budgetary and other financial indicators and benchmarks for the Surgery Service Line.
- Supports the mission, vision, goals and values of the Wellstar Health System.
- Serves as a member of, and Chairs, the Wellstar Surgery Cabinet.
- Is responsible for assisting in the integration of the Surgery Service Line into the functions of the organization, and the development of policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services and purchase of supplies.
- Assesses and recommends contracted services for needed patient care provided by the Surgery Service Line.
- Performs such other responsibilities assigned by the Chief Executive Officer of Wellstar, or his/her designee.
Required Minimum Education: M.D. or D.O. degree from a recognized medical school.
Required Minimum Experience and Skills:
- Preference for at least ten years experience as a practicing physician in a system healthcare setting.
- Board certified in his/her medical specialty.
- Licensed to practice medicine in the State of Georgia.
- Preference for at least two years of clinical and administrative leadership experience.
- Business acumen to oversee the Surgery Service Line in fiscally sound, professional manner.
- Working knowledge and experience in managing clinical operations, resource utilization and management, quality performance and improvement, medical informatics, financial planning, budgeting and development of new programs and clinical service lines.
- Exposure to the managed care environment and an understanding of the need to align the physicians' interest with the interest of the Wellstar Health System and to assist Wellstar in charting the organization's future direction and success.
- Proven accomplishment in developing, maintaining and improving the cost-effective delivery of high quality services.
- Qualify for and maintain membership on the Medical Staff of a Wellstar Hospital.
Required Minimum Skills:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrated leadership with change management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work collaboratively in a community hospital setting.
- Excellent physician relations skills, people management skills, and previous experience in growing volume.
- Skills in relationship development and collaboration across a matrix environment to establish coordinated plans for growth and delivery of Surgical services for Wellstar Health System.
- Proven, effective, and innovative business development expertise, experience, and skills gained within organizations known for leading edge program development and a commitment to excellence.
- Skills including strategy development, program evaluation, budget preparation, and execution of programs and services to achieve quality standards.
- Excellent understanding of clinical and technology trends related to the delivery of healthcare services.
- Excellent communication skills - verbal, written, listening, and presentation along with the confidence to favorably represent the organization in both formal and informal settings.
- A firm commitment to delivering high quality healthcare services with an unparalleled commitment to customer service as a necessary component for success.
The ability to build an organizational culture, which embraces compassion, accountability, respect and excellence to support achieving the goals of the organization.
We'd like to invite you on a career journey like no other! In return for your contributions, we'll help you make the most of all life's moments - on and off the job. Wellstar Total Rewards is designed to provide for your total well-being, including: Your Wellness, Your Pay, Your Future, Your Joy. We think it's pretty simple - we care for our team members and our team members care for the community.
Make a difference in patients' lives... and your own! Here, it's more than healthcare - it's CareerCare!