West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Marketing Director for Student Life.
About the Opportunity
As a Marketing Director for Student Life, you will be responsible for overseeing the communications and marketing for the Division of Student Life, which is a multifaceted area of the University focused primarily on the fit, success and well-being of current students.
As a Marketing Director you will develop the overarching marketing plan for Student Life and oversee all marketing content developed from within and for the Division across various platforms. You will work to enhance the reputation of Student Life and ensure its messaging is reaching its intended audience in accordance with the University’s strategic marketing goals.
The position reports directly to the Senior Director of Marketing and works closely with the Dean of Students. This position also works as an advisor and expert for other communicators and marketers within the Division. This person directly or partly supervises three marketing strategists within University Relations and Student Life and leads a multitalented Student Life communications and marketing team within University Relations, which includes a social media specialist, web designer and writer.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
What you'll do:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year (for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
- Develop, implement, and manage a comprehensive marketing plan for Student Life, working with administrators, departments, and programs, and in consultation with University Relations. The plan should include key goals, target audiences and action items; it should be updated each summer to adequately meet the Division’s goals.
- Serve as the main point of contact for Student Life staff for internal and external communications and marketing efforts. The Director will delegate and relay information as needed to University Relations team members to adequately service Student Life’s needs.
- Oversee a staff of marketing strategists to help complete work across the Division.
- Lead the Student Life communications and marketing team within University Relations, including but not limited to meetings and consistent communication of work being done to support the Division.
- Meet periodically and develop strong working partnerships with all Student Life area leaders to ensure work is being completed to reach individual team and unit goals.
- Oversee and prepare speeches, talking points, reports, presentations, statements, articles, daily correspondence, and other written materials for the Dean of Students.
- Develop and implement a plan for strategic, effective internal communication within Student Life, including development and regular production of an email for Student Life administrators and staff.
- Advise and assist the Dean of Students and other administrators and staff in Student Life in handling issues relating to crisis communications and issues management.
- Research, understand and stay current on media and public relations and marketing techniques for Student Life divisions.
- Oversee/effect creation of any Student Life branding projects, trademarks, or other intellectual property.
- Work closely with administrators of the departments within Student Life to assist them in the development and production of all marketing materials; help to promote these efforts, as well.
- In working with various University Relations staff, oversee the development of all creative assets within Student Life (website, emails, social media, print, advertising, video, photo, InfoStations, etc.).
- Direct the planning, logistical coordination, communication, and implementation of important special events that support Student Life’s external and internal communications and marketing goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has expired.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- A minimum of six (6) years of related experience
- Superior skills in media and public relations principles and practices
- Superior skills in communications principles and practices for internal and external audiences
- Superior skills in marketing principles and practices
- Superior writing and editing skills required, including skills in English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and accepted journalism style
- Superior interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Superior skills in planning, organization, teamwork and time management
- Familiarity with various computer software, photography, and printing techniques, sufficient to produce print publications with internal support and external vendors
- Understanding of Internet communications and web management sufficient to manage websites and oversee webmaster
- Skill and experience in event management
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships across different departments/programs within Student Life and WVU, and externally.
- Demonstrated ability to work with administrators to identify project requirements and to timely follow-up regarding project progress, without supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise others and to assign and review work.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and enforce deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally, sometimes under deadlines or stressful and confrontational situations.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently to carry out complex assignments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.