MV Transportation is seeking an HR/Wage and Hour Compliance Manager to join our corporate Legal Department.
- Act as subject matter expert in HR policies and practices; primarily wage and hour, timekeeping, unemployment, sick leave, and federal/state/local labor laws.
- Independently design, coordinate, and conduct weekly audits to identify potential areas of risk and develop solutions and action plans. Audit activities include obtaining relevant documents, analyzing documents and conducting interviews with employees.
- Travel to job sites/locations as needed to conduct audits and interview employees regarding any concerns they may have with their timekeeping, breaks, paychecks, etc.
- Work with leadership to ensure follow through with corrective actions to resolve non-compliance.
- Serve as compliance point of contact for all locations and assist locations with federal, state and agency wage and hour regulation compliance matters.
- Respond to and handle DLSE and related agency claims. Work with outside counsel when necessary on escalated agency claims.
- Identify regulatory, statutory and case law changes and determine how they will impact the business and effectively communicate the steps needed to respond to the change.
- Ensure compliance issues are appropriately identified, evaluated, investigated and resolved.
- Communicate and work effectively with various levels of management and staff.
- Work independently with minimal oversight and exercise discretion in sensitive employment and legal issues.
- Provide periodic training to employees/managers regarding HR policies, primarily related to wage and hour and general compliance.
- Provide periodic reports detailing recent audit findings and planned objectives with relation to increased Company compliance.
- Coordinate with internal and external legal counsel as needed in response to compliance concerns, investigations, and litigation.
- Develop relevant policies, procedures, and training materials.
- Coordinate with IT to develop and update compliance reporting.
- Bachelor's Degree required; degree in Business, Political Science/Legal, or Communication preferred.
- General knowledge of federal and state employment laws/regulations.
- Broad knowledge of federal and state Wage and Hour requirements.
- Three (3) + years' experience dealing directly with California Wage and Hour requirements.
- Experience working in a union environment preferred.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Must have excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, results orientation and thrive in deadline driven environment.
- Background in Employment/Labor Law and/or Human Resources.
- Must possess strong computer skills (MS Suite).
- Ability to travel 20-40% of the time.
- PHR-CA preferred.
During the course of employment, employees may receive and have access to confidential information. All employees are expected to respect and maintain the confidentiality of non-public customer and business records and any other information that MV classifies as confidential.
MV Transportation is committed to as policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. The information collected by this application is solely to determine suitability for employment, verify identity and maintain employment statistics on applicants.
Where permissible under applicable state and local law, applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test and background check after receiving a conditional offer of employment.