The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is seeking a dedicated and hardworking team player to join us in our mission to enhance the quality of life for Nebraskans by building and maintaining a convenient, safe, and innovative statewide transportation system!
We reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer-paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
At NDOT, we strongly believe in the value of diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. We welcome applicants of all ages and experiences. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply, as we believe that unique viewpoints and experiences bring a valuable perspective to our team.
Pay rate of $19.120 per hour. Proficiency and certification in the operation of heavy highway maintenance equipment will result in eligibility for promotion to a Highway Maintenance Worker/Senior at the rate of $20.586 per hour.
Please reach out to Tessa Burford, Talent Acquisition Partner, at (402) 419-3192, if you have questions or to learn more.
Apply today using our quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. No resume? Use the text box provided to tell us about your experience and qualifications.
Examples of Work
• Operate trucks and other light equipment; drive trucks to transport crews or materials to work sites.
• Mow right-of-ways and maintain shoulders and roadsides using power hand mowers and tractors with various attachments such as discs, harrows, seeders, cement mixers, and sprayers.
• Operate post drivers, install and move/remove signs, fences, guardrails, and snow fences.
• Remove and apply various surfacing materials including concrete and bituminous patching, crack filling, and sealants to maintain and repair roadways and other broad pavements; apply adhesives, paint, and other material to guardrails, posts, buildings, and other structures; perform manual labor as needed; and handle hazardous materials needed to perform this work.
• Control traffic through and around construction and maintenance projects according to established safety procedures; set signs and cones around work sites; relay road and weather conditions via two-way radio.
• Safely move, drag, lift, load, and unload various equipment, materials, supplies, and hazardous materials or objects from the roadway within weight restrictions; spread and tamp surfacing materials.
• Inspect, clean, maintain, and as needed, make routine repairs to assigned equipment; maintain grounds and buildings of maintenance yards.
• Operate snow removal equipment on an as-needed basis or during emergencies and labor shortages.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver's license.
PREFERRED: Experience in the operation of heavy equipment or farming background. A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with tanker endorsement. Commercial Pesticide applicator's license. Basic computer experience.
OTHER: A Valid Class "A" Commercial Driver's License with O Restriction and tanker endorsement is required within 90 days of hire through our in-house CDL training program. Costs to obtain the permit will be paid for by the Department. Must be able to be placed on-call and respond accordingly during non-scheduled work hours including holidays and weekends for emergencies and special events. Work is performed in adverse weather conditions and during traffic management activities and traffic safety incidents including snow removal, sanding, and de-icing. Regular and reliable attendance is also required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must be able to safely move, drag, and lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance); climb, bend, stoop; work in outdoor temperature extremes and work around high-speed traffic. Must be able to read and communicate effectively, give and receive instructions, and follow directions with minimal supervision. Basic computer and arithmetic skills.
Ability and willingness to learn and accept challenges by learning and adjusting to new technology and processes. Quality/results-oriented sense of urgency in the performance of duties. Ability to work safely and demonstrate safe and reliable practices and behaviors. Ability to interact in a positive manner and treat co-workers and supervisors with dignity and respect, work to resolve conflicts, and make good decisions using sound judgment, processes, and purpose.
Must be able to report to work for snow and other highway emergencies within 40 minutes under normal driving conditions and be placed in an "on-call" status.
Posted 1 day ago
Posted about 14 hours ago
Bridge Foundations Drill Rig Assistant - 4-day week - will train! - Hwy Materials and Tests Technician IIState of Nebraska
Posted about 14 hours ago