The Connecticut Education Network (CEN, ctedunet.net) is Connecticut's trusted internet partner, committed to our member community and its success. By honoring this commitment, we have grown the member customer network and maintained our reputation as one of the most valued Internet Service Providers serving CT for over 20 years. Join CEN to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do, where you do it, and contributing to a mission and vision that provides unprecedented value to CT.
CEN, operated by the University of Connecticut Information Technology Services (ITS), offers a challenging, fast-paced, and rewarding environment where incumbents will grow professionally while advancing CEN's business and brand. CEN provides high-performance Internet and value-added services to over 620 community anchor institutions within CT. CEN offices are located at 55 Farmington Ave, Hartford, CT.
Under the direction of the CEN Director, this position is responsible for the fiscal operations of CEN including oversight and management of budget, finance, accounting, cash flow management, Federal E-Rate program, capital planning, and back-office support functions. The incumbent will be part of the CEN leadership team, have substantial accountability for these functions, manage a small team of direct reports, and is expected to exercise independent judgment in making decisions and resolving most problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Defined contribution with match or defined benefit program retirement options
- Excellent and affordable healthcare options
- 21 Paid vacation days per year, paid sick leave, and 12 paid holidays
- Reduced (75-100%) tuition opportunities covering eligible tuition for self or dependents
- Annual merit increase program
RELATED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Supervises and manages the preparation and maintenance of all financial records, budget control, projections, and analysis to provide the Director and/or auditors with financial information as needed and as appropriate to meet University, State, and Federal requirements.
- Serves as business operations lead, manages the work of assigned personnel, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Maintains, evaluates, and modifies systems of financial practices and records and reviews internal processes and policies to maximize efficiencies and effectiveness within the department. Ensures internal practices are consistent with Federal, State, and University standards.
- Leads billing/invoicing activities for accounts receivable and monitors the collection of monies due; assists customers with any billing discrepancies.
- Records encumbrances and expenditures and processes all necessary paperwork, following up to resolve problems as they arise.
- Leads the management of the federal USAC/E-Rate program requirements, submissions, discounts, and record-keeping for CEN as an E-Rate service provider.
- Provides cost and project accounting functions related to chargeback activities.
- Serves as liaison for CEN regarding fiscal matters, contracts and procurement initiatives, interaction with affiliate organizations, and/or management practices.
- Aligns changes in legislation and/or University policy to existing and future purchasing agreements.
- Performs related work as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSBachelor's Degree in a related field.Six years of progressively responsible experience in financial record keeping and reportingDemonstrated experience with budget preparation, fiscal analysis, and control methodsAbility to work independently, prioritize workload, report on multiple initiatesAbility to resolve fiscal or regulatory problems governing grants and/or contractsAttention to detail with emphasis on accuracyHigh proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word, Excel, and OutlookPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSMaster's degree in a related field10 years of accounting and/or bookkeeping experience.Experience supervising direct reportsExperience with the Federal USAC/E-rate program operating as a provider or applicantExperience with Salesforce or equivalent CRMExperience with capital planning in an appropriated budgetExperience with Accounts Receivables and Accounts PayableExperience with large enterprise financial accounting systems, payroll systems, and billing software with a preference for PeopleSoft/Core-CT, Kuali Financial Systems (KFS), Jagger/SciQuestAPPOINTMENT TERMS
Communication: Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to digest, analyze, organize, and present topics of a financial nature.
Planning and Project Management: Works with, or serves as, the project lead in identifying those project tasks that are most important, establishes clear priorities, and understands the larger picture. Executes projects tasks and creates documentation as required.
Problem Solving: Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and/or where information is available but must be further manipulated. Once decisions are made, follows through to implement intended results. Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Openly, professionally, and directly confronts conflict until resolved.
Team Orientation: Establishes and develops strong, productive relationships with co-workers, other departments, and members (customers). Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above self.
This is a full-time, annually renewable (end-dated) position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate's compliance with the University's Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495669 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on October 15, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
This job has expired.