Digital Realty supports the data center, colocation and interconnection strategies of customers across the Americas, EMEA and APAC, ranging from cloud and information technology services, communications and social networking to financial services, manufacturing, energy, healthcare and consumer products.
Now is the time to join Digital Realty and be part of the world's trusted foundation powering digital ambitions to our customers, prospects and partners. Digital Realty's heritage is understanding a customer's local to global data center needs to address mixed workloads and densities. Enterprises are adapting IT strategies on-the-fly to meet rapidly evolving demands. As data creation and consumption are increasing, so are the tools, clouds, networks and resources needed to support it. This data gravity effect can lead to global workflow management that isn't consistent across deployments, only compounding the complexities. As one of the world's largest data center companies, Digital Realty is seeking motivative and imaginative professions to grow our Enterprise business with collocation and scale offerings combined best in class connectivity, cloud and data centric solutions.
Position: Engineer - Lead
The Engineer - Lead role will give you the opportunity to expand your skills and experience working on mission critical infrastructure facilities operations for the largest wholesale data center provider in the world. We offer a clean, stable environment where there is a lot of variety and always something to do, and where you'll work at least 40 hours per week. If you are looking for an exciting job with great benefits in a company that will provide you with a lot of opportunity to learn, grow, and expand your skillset for a high-demand role, then this could be the right place for you.
To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- An Associate's degree (AA/AS) or an equivalent combination of education and experience; data center experience is strongly preferred.
- A trade license or certification acquired through technical education/training.
- A facilities maintenance certification.
- Experience working with mission critical data equipment, and the willingness to work in a fast-paced, mission critical environment.
- Strong HVAC, mechanical, and electrical skills and experience.
- An understanding of computer systems, and skill with Microsoft Office products.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to follow instructions and processes precisely and carefully.
- The willingness to work 2nd or 3rd shift, at least one weekend day each week, and unscheduled overtime as needed to complete projects or break-fixes.
- The ability to walk around a good deal of the time to perform inspections, to do some work outdoors in the weather if needed, and to lift heavy objects.
As an Engineer - Lead you'll work with your peers to ensure coverage 365 days per year, 7 days per week, 24 hours per day. You'll spend most of your days on a variety of interesting activities, including walking the facility and inspecting infrastructure systems, performing routine maintenance, supervising the facility, assessing needs, monitoring construction projects, and completing repairs as needed. You will also help to gather information and take readings to fill in the parameters on daily spreadsheets. The service you provide will be to the underlying support systems (power, cooling, etc) for customers' computers, so you will not be expected to do any computer maintenance-the customers do that for themselves. Some of your specific responsibilities will include:
Keys to Success
- Monitoring building infrastructure systems.
- Troubleshooting and repairing building infrastructure systems, HVAC system, electrical systems, and more.
- Performing preventive maintenance on all building equipment.
- Assembling and commissioning Data Center equipment.
- Preparing Change Management Forms and Methods of Procedure (MOPs).
- Scheduling maintenance procedures with vendors.
- Ensuring compliance with all safety procedures and use of protective equipment.
- Responding quickly to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure etc.) and customer concerns as needed.
This is a technical job, and it is heavy on the electrical side, but there are a number of diverse pieces to doing the job well. To excel in this role, you will need an understanding of HVAC, electrical, large chillers, diesel generators, cooling towers, UPS systems, large batteries, and more. You may be in front of customers, so you'll also need to be able to present yourself well and have great communication skills. You will complete certain reports, so you'll need enough knowledge of computers in order to create and update reports in Word and Excel. To complete the reports, you will also need the ability to gather information. This hands-on role will take much more than just experience with rounds and readings. In addition, to be an outstanding Facility Engineer, you will:
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
- Remain open to learning new things, including the Digital Realty way of doing business.
- Be willing to dig in to discover the cause of issues, and be creative in solving them.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work.
- Bring a commitment to teamwork
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities. Digital Realty: Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it. Our Mission
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world Our Vision
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders. Our Values
Guide our decisions and actions every day-above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success. About Digital Realty
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 2,000 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer productsDisclaimer:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty Trust is committed to employing a diverse workforce. We value and actively seek to recruit, develop and retain people with backgrounds, experiences and perspectives that reflect the full diversity of our society.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.