Overview / Responsibilities
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer, Substations. Reporting to the Substation Electrical Dept. Manager, this position is located in our Atlanta, GA office. This role encompasses substation engineering design on a variety of Eastern United States-based projects, including 12 kV to 500 kV electrical substation design. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Leading projects from the conceptual design stage through to construction
- Design and review of 12 kV to 500 kV electrical substations including all deliverables for substation layouts and station services
- Develop one-line & phasing diagrams, layout plans, sections, ground grid layouts, grounding details, conduit & cable routing plans, and details
- Prepare and review drawing lists, engineering documents, specifications and inspection, and testing plans/procedures.
- Coordinating multidisciplinary engineering activities with protection & control (P&C), telecom, transmission, distribution, civil and structural
- Participating in client design and constructability review meetings
- Evaluating equipment for suitability as per site and standard requirements
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups and external contractors and clients
- Traveling and visiting client sites and offices during project design, and construction stages
- Checking specifications, drawings, and test reports to ensure high-quality design
- Ensuring the latest safe practices and methods are integrated into the design
- Coordinating with installation and commissioning activities with the utility and subcontractors
- Responding to information requests from construction and ensuring project documentation is completed
- Leading and mentoring junior staff
- Assisting Business Development team by preparing scope of work, engineering estimates, and schedules for proposals
- Monitoring budgets and schedules for the Electrical discipline
- Preparing and planning project scope and change notices
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university.
- Minimum 5 years of electrical engineering experience designing substations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 3-8 years of demonstrated experience working with engineers, designers, and drafters.
- General understanding of non-electrical disciplines such as civil, structural, and mechanical for coordination purposes.
- Self-motivated and able to perform with minimal guidance
- Duke Energy and/or Florida Power & Light experience is considered an asset.
- Georgia Professional Engineering License (PE) is considered an asset.
- Clean driving record/abstract.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.