The LyondellBasell (LYB) Advanced Polymers Solutions (APS) organization provides Plastic Compound Solutions for Customer Applications in the US/CAN Region. The Application Development and Technical Service (ADTS) Engineer is responsible for providing focused technical support regarding the processing and performance of supplied products to our customers. The ADTS Engineer/CPC reports to the ADTS Director/USCAN. This position offers a competitive base salary, bonus, 401K matching, LYB pension plan, generous benefits package, and employee discounts. It will be in a home office in the USCAN region serving LYB Custom Performance Color Concentrates (CPC) customer base.
The primary focus will be on internal and customer interaction but is not limited to senior-level competence surrounding all aspects of primary and secondary [downstream] plastic and ancillary processing, tooling, part design, and material selection capabilities. Travel up to 50% of the time is required (with periods of lighter or heavier travel) based on business needs in CANADA and MEXICO. This Engineer also assists in developing new applications with new and existing color concentrates, plastic compounds, and alloyed products. Market trend information must be gathered to support the efforts of LYB on technical innovation and value creation.
Roles & Responsibilities
- The role works directly with customers to support LYB business via multiple conversion processes and knowledge of primary and secondary downstream operations, part design, process optimization, tooling issues, troubleshooting, root cause and corrective actions, cost savings recommendations, and new application program launches.
- The role works with the LYB Sales Account Managers to achieve LYB business plans (current business) and recent business awards (future growth) at assigned customers.
- Excellent communication skills are needed to document weekly call reports, customer visits, and molding trials summaries and to internally convey customer requests and resin needs.
- Must demonstrate the ability and desire to work independently with limited direct supervision and be self-motivated.
- Comply with all LYB requirements and policies related to business ethics and code of conduct.
- Exercise product risk management related to ADTS activities (e.g., technical recommendations); Goal ZERO Safety, Product Stewardship, and Regulatory affairs.
- Provide technical service to customers as required to support product/application launch and ongoing business in the following areas:
- Direct troubleshooting applications with the process and tooling concerns at customer plant locations.
- Work with customers regarding cost savings or process optimization opportunities.
- Work directly with customers to clarify technical and commercial requirements for new applications and suggest suitable products that provide value to the application.
- Support newly awarded programs with part design, tooling suggestions, material trial support, and product recommendations.
- Assist in the growth of LYB APS business by identifying and influencing share-shift opportunities and promoting future program awards.
- Participate/present customer workshops (Lunch-and-Learns) as required
- Assist in the validation of compound product transfers or product rationalization.
- Identify, research, and validate new application development opportunities in alignment with the APS business unit growth strategy that provides technical innovation and value creation to our customers.
- Participate with the global teams to ensure the implementation of global strategies.
- Participate in industry trade conferences as required to keep current on market knowledge and market trends.
- Support Plant Quality, Sales, and PAD in quality claims internally or externally.
- Adhere to the LyondellBasell requirements of intellectual property and product stewardship.
- Support the Prohibitive/Restricted Medical Policy of LYB; act as the Medical Focal Point for CPC
- Any other duties assigned to achieve growth, EBITDA goals, and professional development.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below represent the required knowledge, skill, and abilities:
- Self-motivated - working independently, prioritizing customer scheduling, and delivering results with limited supervision.
- Technical expertise with polymer process and troubleshooting methods in plastic conversion processes such as injection molding, blow molding, profile extrusion, thermoforming, or film conversion.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Salesforce.
- Good interpersonal skills, open to listening and sharing experiences; effectively communicating project goals/objectives; collaborating and maintaining a good working relationship with co-workers in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to analyze problems quickly, discover the root cause, develop an approach for responding to them, and summarize effectively; ability to multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Deliver new products for the successful growth of the plastics market; assist in product development efforts to colleagues.
- Mechanical and mathematical aptitude.
- Understand the performance and process differences between various polymers and their additives.
- Understanding of spectrophotometers as it relates to color matching and color correction.
- Experience in color theory, measurement, and instrumentation and the ability to explain color concepts, including special effects and mass coloration.
- Knowledge of various pigments, dyes, and additives.
- Knowledge of FDA food regulations related to packaging materials.
- Familiarity with plastics testing, characterization, and analytical analysis techniques.
- Ability to work directly with Customers, Sales Account Managers, and New Business Development to clarify technical and commercial requirements for new applications and make suitable product recommendations.
- Previous managerial/supervisory experience is a plus.
- Accredited Six Sigma Green or Black Belt is a plus.
- Ability to build broad and diverse relationships with assigned customers.
- Have a basic understanding of plastics compounds' properties, performance, and characteristics.
- Ability to perform a competitive benchmark SWOT analysis (i.e., Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats).
- Bachelor's degree in Plastics/Polymer Engineering, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering required; will consider High School Diploma/GED and equivalent experience instead of a degree.
- Technical experience in plastics processing, tool design, and materials is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in a technical environment such as R&D, Manufacturing, Application Development, and Plastic Processing, including troubleshooting, product/process training, and part/tool design preferred.
- Fluent in English, in addition to any regional language requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine correspondence effectively, and speak fluently with internal and external customers.
- Required Color Testing - Must achieve a score on the Farnsworth Munsell 100 color hue test of 16 or less.
- Valid driver's license.
- Passport for international travel
#LI-MK2 | #LI-HybridCompetencies
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential - and responsibility - to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That's why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world's most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.Nearest Major Market:
Akron Nearest Secondary Market:
This job has expired.