West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), part of the WVU system of campuses located in Beckley, WV, is currently inviting applications for the following employment opportunity:
The Departments of Chemical Engineering, Physical Sciences and Biology within the Leonard C. Nelson College of Engineering and Sciences seek to hire an Academic Lab Manager II, a 12-month staff position, full-time and benefits-eligible.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Oversee the day to day operation, maintenance and cleanliness of the Chemical Engineering, Physical Sciences and Biology laboratories, including experimental apparatus, tools and equipment.
- Be involved in the installation and construction of new equipment, and the rebuilding of old equipment.
- Oversee chemical inventory and the disposal/recovery of chemicals used in experiments.
- Monitor operation of Physical Sciences building air compressor, steam boiler, vacuum system and water stills.
- Keep lab equipment in working condition by conducting preventative maintenance work.
- Maintain safety data sheets, operation and maintenance manuals.
- Set up equipment for lab experiments. Provide preparatory instruction to student lab assistants. Prepare chemicals for experiments. Supply students with proper tools, equipment, chemicals, and other supplies. Ensure steam, water and compressed air needed for lab experiments are available.
- Assist faculty in providing instruction to students in proper laboratory safety and materials handling and advise students in the safe use of equipment and materials.
- Serve as instructor in laboratory sessions as needed by providing instruction on experimental theory, procedures and outcomes.
- Manage the handling, storage, and reduction of hazardous waste generated by the Chemical Engineering, Physical Sciences and Biology departments. Maintain contact with Environmental Health & Safety office in Morgantown to arrange vendor pickup of hazardous waste and provide training on waste and chemical handling to assure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Serve as the Chemical Hygiene Officer for the Physical Sciences Building and the Life Sciences Building.
- Supervise, train and schedule student lab assistants, and approve work study time cards in APPLAUD.
- Assist other staff on jobs that require more than one person to complete, and various other tasks that may be assigned by the Department Chairs, or the Dean of the College of Engineering and Sciences.
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday
WVU provides competitive wages for its employees and takes related experience and education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.WVU offers a comprehensive benefits package, 12 paid holidays and generous paid time off, as well as many other discounts and services. Learn more about available benefits at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/benefits-and-compensation.Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in the Sciences, Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related field.
- At least one (1) to two (2) years of related work experience in an analytical lab, lab equipment maintenance, and hazardous material management.
- Experience in higher education lab or a similar environment is preferred.
This job has expired.
- Physical requirements include the ability to stand, squat, kneel, walk, lift, and carry for extended periods of time as needed.
- Lifting up to 25 pounds.